Monday, May 21, 2007

My email to my former congregation

Now that the time has past I can give up the surprise that I sprung on the elders before my da'ing announcement. I emailed the entire congregation! Or at least as many addresses that I had which was most of those who use email. As the keeper of the congregation database I had just about everyone's address. I did a Bcc so that the email would seem to go only go to the person reading it. And I didn't DA myself publicly but left things up to everyone's imagination. Hopefully when some people heard my announcement this past Tuesday they thought: "Wow they got rid of a good elder because he asked a few questions?!" Anyway below is the text of my email in case anyone wants to do something similar.

For the elders I did something different. I emailed all of them my letter, expressed my concern for them all and wished them the best. Further I left it up to them to keep in touch, my door is open. Then finally I personally I emailed three close friends on the body with a personal message. One was in my wedding, funny he is the only one that hasn't responded!

"Greetings everyone. I wanted to take a moment to say a couple of things. It was a pleasure working with and serving all of you. I can truthfully say that I love all of you. We had many good times, and I thoroughly enjoyed doing the School for the ten years that I conducted it.
My reason for sending this email is to explain why I have been absent for nearly a year.
Let me ask all of you something: How much independent research have you done into the Bible? How much independent checking into what we believe have you really done? I know as an elder I took this very seriously. It was my duty to be certain that what I was teaching was accurate and truthful. As I dug deeper it became clear that a lot of it was truth. And almost as much is just human speculation and to be honest arbitrary. And following the shifting teachings of men was not was I was into.

Friends, it is extremely important that you check and not simply take things for granted. Look into this religion's history. Answer questions such as why would it have just paid over 10 million dollars to settle 14 child abuse lawsuits throughout the United States while at the same time condemning other religions for having the same problem and saying that Jehovah will punish only those religions? Why would it work you to no end, demand more and more of your energy and time while promising a tribulation and Paradisethat never seems to come? And why has it been doing this since 1879? Why would it insist that suspected child molesters go from door to door and risk endangering the lives of the public? And finally why can't the Society properly address Jesus' words at Luke 21:8? " 8He said: "Look out that YOU are not misled; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, 'I am he,' and, 'The due time has approached.' Do not go after them. "

These issues I am raising because I spent years teaching this congregation. And I believe that if I saw these things and never attempted to tell you I would be blood guilty and my conscience would never be at ease. The burden now rests with you to check. Remember this: Truth can hold up to scrutiny. Truth has nothing to fear. And no one has the right to tell you not to do research. That is your personal choice. Remember what Paul said: "Where the spirit of Jehovah is, there is freedom." A good place that is not hostile to us is PBS's site: www.knocking.org/dvd_orders.lasso. Go read the brochure that comes with the DVD.
isaac_carmignani@yahoo.com is my new email address. Any of you who wish to talk more or keep contact with me can do so there. I will keep your correspondence completely confidential as I did for the eleven years that I served you as an elder."

Warm Christian love,

Isaac Carmignani

No comments: