Saturday, January 20, 2007

What to do with that feeling....

I have spent a good portion of my life being religious. I have finally learned that religion is not required in a spiritual life. I might have realized this a long time ago. But being that I grew up a Jehovah's Witness, being a part of something big, something that is global in scope, was a big issue. It was one of the reasons why I hung around so long. I was trying to figure out what to do with that feeling. How to express it.

My feelings in this regard have evolved slowly. First I began to realize that I could use my job to fill some of that need. I work for a very large governmental entity and am part of a team doing something that benefits people.

Then I got involved in some community activities. And I began to see that arena as a place where I could fill my sense of belonging and the desire to help others on a charitable level. I became involved in a issue that I feel strongly about. (http://www.morganlewis.com/index.cfm/nodeID/D5DA17AE-885F-4225-AD2F-A61D0B70CCFE/fuseaction/content.page)

And all of that primed me for the big breakthrough. One that was so obvious once I saw it: I belong to the HUMAN RACE! That is the "organization." That is the place where I can have all of my needs fulfilled in this area. That we are all interdependent, even if we don't yet realize it. And the West is a great place to explore this as we have basic freedoms built in to our societies. It was then that I realized that I needed to make a difference in society at large, in my own small way. By my dealings with everyone. By giving unconditional love to all. By helping others when I can. By caring for myself, since in caring for myself I make a valuable contribution to humankind as a whole. That is the essence of my freedom. I hope that sharing this helps someone out there.

No comments: